Tuesday 25 February 2014

Thoughts on Envy

Hey everyone, long time no blog!

Well the simple explanation here would be that I've been lazy, but shortly to convey the far more elaborate reason, imagine these words strung together with some clever stories, verbs, adjectives and all that other good stuff that forms witty sentences: busy-holiday-South Africa-Christmas-New-Years-Thesis-Stress-Darkness-Winter-Depression-Lack of motivation-or-something... ;)

But anyways now I'm attempting a comeback, so stay tuned for many more updates! My first update is this little video I made about envy/jealousy, check it out:





So no matter how long I plan a video, I always end up going into way too much detail on one thing, and then completely skipping over one of my pre-planned points. This definitely happened here, but all in all I'm happy with how short and concise I was able to keep it.

But with that said I would like to add one thing, and that is how heavily media is designed to trigger envy. Every clothing advert wants you to feel some level of jealousy towards the model, because they want you to believe their product will make you as beautiful/cool/sexy as she/he is. And beyond that, even social media: facebook, twitter, instagram and pinterest, feed on our jealous nature. Everyone presents their best side, their best meals, their best moments, so all we see of each other is their 'best', where as with ourselves we can't escape our 'worsts'.

Wow, maybe it's a good thing I didn't try to explain that in the video because I'm not quite sure if it made sense :D

Anyways it feels good to be back, feel free to comment your own ideas on the topic of envy or go over to youtube and comment there on the video!

No comments:

Post a Comment